I made some Thai crabcakes the other night and was debating what to serve them with in regards to a vegetable accompaniment. Without wanting to go shopping it was a case of fridge and cupboard raiding and the net result was this easy to do, light and tasty asparagus side.
Ingredients (serves 2)
• Asparagus - 1 bunch/pkt
• Tamari/soy sauce - 3 tbsp
• Lime juice - 2 tbsp
• Mirin (sweet sherry alternative) - 2 tbsp
• Fish sauce - 2 tbsp
• Garlic, finely chopped - 2 cloves
• Minced ginger - 1 tsp
• Chilli flakes (optional) - 1 tsp
• Salt and ground black pepper - to taste
1. Combine all ingredients apart from the asparagus mix well (use an old jar or a 'Flavour Shaker' to shake well).
2. Steam the asparagus until cooked
3. Toss the cooked asparagus in the sauce and adjust with salt and pepper to required taste.
This is best served warm but can be served cold if required. As usual, play about with the sauce combinations until you achieve your desired levels, some prefer it a little sweeter whilst others prefer it with more fish sauce or chilli 'punch'.