This one comes via a conversation I had with my sister tonight who has become beetroot obsessed! A taste sensation of an accompaniment to a main course or spectacular cold with some crumbled feta or Blacksticks Blue cheese on top.
Fresh beetroot: peeled/scrubbed and cut into quarters - 6
Shallots: peeled and left whole - 8
Carrots: peeled, halved and cut into inch long sections - 6
Mustard (wholegrain or Dijon) - 2 tbsp
Honey - 3 tbsp
Sunflower oil - 2 tbsp
Salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190°C/Gas Mark 5 and place a suitably sized (see step 4) roasting tin in it.
2. Place the oil, honey and mustard in a microwave proof container.
3. Heat this mixture in the microwave for 30 seconds (based on an 800 watt microwave) or in a saucepan over a LOW heat for 2 minutes. You are seeking to loosen the viscosity of the mixture.
4. Place the vegetables in a pre-heated roasting tin which comfortably accommodates them - neither cramped nor too spread out.
5. Pour over the oil, honey and mustard blend.
6. Add the desired amount of salt and ground black pepper and toss the vegetables until fully coated.
7. Place in the pre-heated oven and roast for approximately 35 minutes, turning the vegetables once halfway through cooking.
An alternative flavour to add here is some chopped rosemary.