One of the easiest soups to make with a nice peppery twist!
Carrots, sliced - 1 kg
Onion, diced - 1
Coriander seeds - 20
Szechuan peppercorns - 15
Herb sea salt - 2 tsp
Chopped coriander - 1 bunch
Vegetable stock - 1500ml
Sunflower oil - 1 tbsp
1. Crush the coriander seeds, peppercorns and sea salt in a pestle and mortar.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
3. Add onions and sweat until translucent (do not brown).
4. Add carrots and stir through until they begin to take on some heat.
5. Stir in the spice blend and coat all of the vegetables.
6. Add the stock.
7. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat until a rolling boil is achieved.
8. Cook until the carrots are cooked through. Do not overcook as this will reduce the strength of the carrots.
9. Add the chopped coriander.
10. Blend with a hand blender until desired consistency is achieved.
11. Place back on the heat on a low simmer for 15 minutes, periodically skimming off any resulting scum from the top.
12. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Serve with a good hearty spoonful of creme fraiche or soured cream (optional).